Testing in Variable Fields
GPS-based planters, yield monitors, and analysis tools can make field variation useful in the testing process.
- Areas of known field variation are grouped into management zones.
- Test strips are positioned to run through these zones.
- This allows comparisons in multiple environments in the field.
Figure 2. Hybrid strip trial layout in which the trial runs across multiple management zones assigned based on soil moisture characteristics.
For split-planter trials evaluating agronomic practices:
- Avoid testing too many variables at once, which can confound results.
- Include a check where the agronomic practice was not applied.
Figure 3. Agronomic trial with 2 variables, seeding rate and foliar fungicide treatment, that includes a non-treated check.